Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Soundtrack of My Life

When I first learned of the existence of “Christian music” I had just accepted Christ and it was early on in the Christian music movement.  It was the years of Keith Green, Amy Grant (before her “fall”), Larry Norman, etc.  I loved it for what it was.  It was good music about God.  It helped me contemplate and love God.  But I never gave up my secular music.  I never felt “convicted” to do so though I heard the arguments put forth by many well-meaning youth pastors and chapel speakers who thought it important to get rid of the devil’s music.   But I never bought it, and I’m glad I didn’t.  My life has been richer because of all the music that has accompanied me.

The Christian music industry has evolved and changed and now I rarely listen to any of it outside of chapel and church.  If I go to a Christian conference and hear a particularly impressive performance (e.g. David Crowder, Kendall Payne, Reliant K) I may pick up a CD, but I do not listen to Christian radio because I can't stand the insincerity.  For a more complete explanation, read Gungor’s old blog on Christian music.  


Though worship and praise are very important parts of the essence of humanity, so are many other fundamental emotions and feelings.  Limiting myself to the “positive and uplifting” music of Christian radio would necessarily leave so much of who I am without deep expression.  God has made us intricate beings.  Our spirits are richly textured and He has called it good.  I have much to feel and those feelings are allowed to come into focus with music.  I am alive and awake when I hear myself expressed in song.  For example, Jazz is a great expression of a complex mellow.  How about the sultry energy of Latin music or the carefree release of Reggae?  Why would I want to miss the political frustration of U2, the raw sexuality of Barry White, the sunshiny joy of the Beach Boys or The Go-Go’s, the angst of Everclear or Nirvana, the introspection of Death Cab for Cutie, or even the mischievousness of Van Halen?  I have felt (and feel) all of these things and I have been able to feel them more completely because my life was blessed with music.


“Christian music” has its place in my praise and worship, but it is not the only soundtrack of my life.  God has made me wider, deeper, and more varied than that.  And as I become more comfortable with this thought, I am becoming aware that God is wider, deeper, and more varied than I’ve made Him out to be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment